Thursday, September 11, 2008

Facebook Me....

Jeremy Smith

Professor Manuel A. Perez-Tejada

English 1101 – J1

September 8, 2008

Facebook: Staying Connected

Our society can be impossible to live in. Everything has to be accomplished as quickly as possible and still be relevant and comprehensive. Even the simple tasks in our society can be difficult to achieve. Take a straightforward task such as keeping up with your friends or social life, and you will still find frustration brought on by our “now or never” society. This is, however, where my favorite of all media products becomes irreplaceable. Facebook, a simple online social-networking website, allows me to keep in touch with my friends and society, helping me to stay in touch in such a fast paced world.

Facebook has contributed to my connection to my surroundings in many ways. The most prevalent of those ways is how it allows to me to stay in touch with friends. Facebook allows me to chat with friends who live hundreds of miles away while being updated on what they did during the week by seeing what they have posted. This luxury would not be available without this media product. For example, earlier this year one of my good friends moved away. At the time, I did not have a Facebook account and I would only talk to him a few times a month. Now, with this great website, I talk to him almost every day and we are still very good friends, despite the fact that I have not seen him in person in many months. Facebook also has other features that allow for an almost seamless integration of my social life with the rest of the world, such groups and events.

Not only does Facebook allow me to talk to friends, but it also allows me to set up events and groups for any cause I want. When I log onto Facebook one of the first things I notice is what events are coming up. This is one of Facebook's greatest attributes as a media tool, because it helps me to maintain a schedule and find out about events that I would otherwise miss. Facebook also has a feature that allows you to make a group where friends or people with similar beliefs can join and discuss or fight for a cause. This has been very popular in the realm of politics because supporters of one candidate will get millions of members in their group to rally for their leader. Some people are against this very public forum, but Facebook has feature to combat this ‘argument’ where one can hide what groups they are in or who can see their profile. Regardless of that fact, Facebook does wonders for staying connected and getting organized.

In the end, Facebook is one of the greatest forms of media available to society today. It allows us to stay connected and organized in a world with high-paced standards. It is for this reason that Facebook is my favorite media outlet and why I believe that it is a true gift to the world.

No comments: