Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Simpsons: A Comedic Educator−David Desprez

I grew up watching The Simpsons. It is a show filled with diverse characters, interesting plots, witty comments, slapstick humor, good morals, and informative ideas. As a small child, I identified with characters such as the rebellious Bart, the intellectual Lisa, and the bumbling Homer, relishing the humor while remaining oblivious to the cultural quality of the show. When I aged, however, I began to realize and understand just how much this show offers, beyond the humor and action. The Simpsons creates an entertaining world that teaches life lessons, and helps each of us to grow and develop one laugh at a time.
The Simpsons serves as a moral compass that has helped to direct my path in life. That is a fairly audacious statement, I realize, especially when talking about some TV show−but it is true. Although The Simpsons gets criticized by some people for its mild violence, language, and content, I learn a valuable life lesson from every episode that I watch. In one episode, Homer (the father of the family) explains that "If you really want something in life, you have to work for it." I did not become valedictorian of my high school by sitting around watching The Simpsons all day (or did I?). I took Homer’s advice to work hard−and it worked. I learn to fight for what I believe in and to have confidence in myself. I discover this through the hunger strikes, boycotts, petitions, and inspirational speeches given by these creative yellow people. Consequently, the ideals illustrated in the show have provided my life with direction and education.
The Simpsons assists in the development of my learning. Yes, seemingly mindless cartoons can become educational. In the show, satire exhibits a heavy presence and what the characters say often contains more than one meaning. This helps to develop my ability to analyze writing and speeches for the meaning below the surface. For example, in an episode titled The Way We Weren’t, Homer stands on a dock looking from the water to a boat contemplating how he will cross a lake. He then exclaims “I guess it’s Row vs. Wade, and it’s my right to choose.” Without the knowledge of deeper meaning, I would not recognize that this makes reference to the 1973 Supreme Court case on abortion. Witty quotes like this occur throughout episodes, helping to expand my knowledge, increase my sense of humor, and make me laugh.
Watching The Simpsons definitely improves my life by allowing me to be more educated, culturally aware, and better prepared to deal with life’s obstacles. Nearly every problem encountered in real life has already been made into an episode of The Simpsons. I also can look deeper into things and analyze below the surface thanks to this great show. So if you are looking to get some good laughs and an education on many different levels, grab some popcorn and watch a few episodes. You will walk away better equipped for life.

No comments: